Q & A: Senior Manager
- Tell us about yourself, who is Lesego Mokwena?
I grew up in Pretoria, and am passionate about Entrepreneurship and Business Advising as a key to grow any economy and to transform the global economic outlook for all. I actively share my own entrepreneurship experience through facilitating workshops and presentations to provide constructive input into the entrepreneurial eco-system.
- How long have you been a member and employee of IBASA, and what exactly is your role at IBASA?
I began employment with IBASA in March 2015, and it’s been an exciting couple of years with IBASA. I am currently the Senior Manager in IBASA. We have opened a second Office in the City of Ekurhuleni, Kempton Park which speaks to the ambition to grow IBASA’s National Footprint . At IBASA, I deal with Operations, Project Implementation and Coordination, amongst others. I also prepare the Annual General Meeting and play various roles within the organisation such as Marketing, Facilitation with the Regions, and provide support for the Board and Executives.
- Your background seems to be quite diverse… spanning marketing, human resources, administration, etc. What has been some of your highlights and most memorable moments?
I have travelled and resided in countries within SADC such as Malawi, Botswana and Zambia and as such I have a diverse background. I have an entrepreneurial spirit, having started and managed from a young age two businesses previously, and now co-owner of a third. I am also interested in property management, so I combine my love for people, businesses with community upliftment programmes that I facilitate.
- Can you tell us what you think are some of IBASA’s strengths and challenges?
IBASA is a long standing organisation with a mandate to professionalise Business Advising. I believe that this is an important role because businesses drive the economy of any country. As a result it is critical that those advising businesses are not only professional and experts, but must also benefit the client by providing a high quality service. Our message to those in the Entrepreneurial Eco-system is that we must collobarate to benefit the entrepreneur. The challenge I see is that IBASA needs to grow its credibilty rapidly in order to lobby the Private and Public Sector to support and invest in Business Advisory services. Bit by bit, we’re getting there.
- Rumours are that you are one of the hardest working, dedicated staff at IBASA. How do you balance work requirements and your personal or family life?
I believe that my passion drives my hard work ethic. In reality it’s never easy to juggle a busy life at work, business and home but all things with planning and enthusiasm always finds some balance. One must learn to decline certain responsibilities that can be delegated. God’s wisdom guides me to perform to my best ability.
- What is your favourite Quote that summarises your philosophy on life?
I believe that all things are possible. In other words, all things that looked impossible are now possible.
- How does Lesego spend her extra time, what else do you do?
I do many things outside Business and Work. I am a back-up artist for gospel music, Business Coach and I actively participate in various Youth Programmes of my home city. Giving back to communities and traveling give me fulfillment.
- All the best for the year. Do you have any special message for our readers/members?
Our Members are the backbone of our organisation. They also drive us to represent them and manage their interests as best as we can. We will certainly make 2019 a formidable year as IBASA celebrates 21 years of enabling enterpreneural excellence.